Forney (E. J.) Building

Posted on August 26, 2015

Carnegie Library (now the Forney Building) in 1905
Carnegie Library (now the Forney Building) in 1905

This building, designed by Hook & Sawyer of Charlotte, North Carolina, opened in 1905 as the Carnegie Library, and was expanded in 1922. The building was partially destroyed by fire on September 15, 1932, and was enlarged during its reconstruction. The Library reopened in 1933.

In 1955, the building was extensively renovated for classroom use and in 1957 was named for Edward Jacob Forney,  the College’s treasurer and chair of the Commercial Department from 1892 to 1940. Currently the Forney Building primarily serves as the home of the University’s Information Technology Services.

Share This